Sunday, January 29, 2006

Yoga

Today is supposed to be my free day from workout, but I decided to do yoga instead. What a revelation! I used to do yoga religiously about 2 years ago. I had to stop because I moved and there was no yoga centers nearby. Anyways, I discovered that I suck in yoga. This morning, I followed a beginner's yoga video, and I was barely making it. My whole body was shaking, my flexibility was almost non-existent, and muscles that I didn't know I had were hurting. Just a simple downward-facing dog was a challenge. I used to be fairly good at it. Not advanced where you can stand on your head, but good enough that I can actually bend forward with my legs straight and my palms flat on the floor.

Needless to say, I had a good workout. And I realized how much I miss yoga. I forgot what a great overall body workout it is if you do it correctly. As you hold a position for a specific length of time, you can actually feel your heart beating fast, hence, it could be considered cardio. And obviously, it's also great for strengthening. It also improves your flexibility, helps your body stay in alignment, and helps in preventing injuries.

In light of today's revelation, I'm going to add the following fitness goal for this year:

Do yoga at least once a week.

1 comment:

KatieFeldmom said...

I've been looking in to doing that once a week too. I need some help with stretching and flexibility.

What video did you use? or recommend?

And are you going to do it in place of a workout or in addition to the six?