Friday, July 20, 2007

5K Race - Yes another one :)

I did another race last Wednesday night and it went a lot better than the Tex Mex one. The primary goal of this race is to get some speed work in, and hopefully to finish in under 30 minutes.

I was dreading this race because we were having a severe thunderstorm as I was driving to the event. Thankfully, it cleared up as soon as I pulled into the parking lot. Perfect timing!

The weather was very humid, but not as hot as Tex Mex. Still hot though. We lined up and I remember seeing a group of young girls, probably from some school's cross country team, lining up in front of me. All I can think of was these girls better not run together or if they plan to do so be way ahead of me. :)

We heard the gun shot and we were off. I ran at a comfortable pace and reached the 1-mile mark in 9:10, which is really good for me! Unfortunately around the 2-mile mark, I experienced some burning on my right shin. I had to take two short walking breaks before everything was said and done. I probably could have pushed through but I didn't want to get shin splints for real to add to my knee issues and to hinder my half marathon training even more. The downhills were also quite uncomfortable on my knee.

But, I finished in 29:27 at 3.11 miles, according to Garmin!!! I was pleased with this since I wasn't going all out due to my knees (only towards the finish) and I was just gunning for under 30 minutes. I looked like a drowned rat by the time I finished. I don't remember ever sweating that much!

The post-race buffet was pretty good. They had turkey sandwiches, chicken wings, fuits, etc. I loved the chicken wings!!!

I'm not sure what was up with the shins during the race. The shoes I wore only had 230 miles in it, not even close to the supposed 300-400 miles lifespan of an average running shoes. I did go for an easy 4-miler the following morning wearing my other running shoes and no shin splints whatsoever. Hmmm...must be because I'm a heavy plodder that I wear out my shoes a lot quicker. :o)
------------------------------------------------
HP follow up:

I pre-ordered Deathly Hallow from a local bookstore. No, I'm not planning on going to any midnight release parties. I don't want to be spoiled! I'm going out for my long run on Saturday morning, but earlier than normal so I can pick up my book afterwards and still have plenty of time to read it this weekend. I didn't order the book online for a reason. If it happens to come to my house early enough before I'm out for my run, there's a good possibility that I won't be able to leave the house. ;-)

For all you HP fans, Happy Reading! Or Happy Listening (in Katiefeldmom's case)!

3 comments:

KatieFeldmom said...

Teehee .... I'm so excited. On pins and needles.

YAY on the under 30 5k!!! So glad that you did not get hurt and that you did it so well!!!

Enjoy your weekend!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie said...

Under 30!!!! Wahoo!!!! That's great!

Can't wait get my book this weekend, thinking I may ride my bike to the 24 hour grocery at 5:30 in the morning to get started on it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! That's just awesome, girlie! Hope your shins are better now.

I, also, pre-ordered the book and already got a phone call that I could pick it up Saturday, but I will be out of town. It will have to wait until Sunday. Damn! Happy reading to you too!