Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Flood Alert!!!

Just some images from local towns...



The above picture is a picture of a park by near my work.



So here's how my day started:

I woke up super early, raring to go to the gym for spinning class. As I was brushing my teeth, I could faintly hear the sump pump from my basement running an awful lot. I was puzzled since it wasn't raining outside. I then decided to turn on the news and 'lo and behold! Flood watch EVERYWHERE!!! Apparently, just an hour before, we got tons of rain! I must have been in deep sleep because I didn't even notice that it rained that hard. I know for certain that some of the roads become unpassable around here during severe storms because of a creek that's about half a mile away from me. So instead of risking it, I just went back to bed. I really didn't want to run today because I already ran Monday and yesterday.

Anyways, I decided to leave my house a little bit late for work so to give the authorities enough time to do their work. Thankfully, the affected roads were blocked. I drove by the creek and OH MY GOD! The water level was so high! This one bridge that I cross on the way to work was completely submerged. I had to take a detour further up to cross the creek. Once I got to the other side of the creek, I saw houses that were completed flooded. The road that run by it is on higher ground so cars were able to drive by but the sight of the houses right below was just hearbreaking! The traffic was horendous and I was an hour late for work.

The drive on my way back home was horrible too, and I left an hour early hoping to avoid the traffic! There are a lot of back roads, particularly those that run by the creek, that were still flooded since the creek didn't crest until 3-4 pm, so I think everybody stuck to the main roads.

Thankfully, my house stayed dry. I'm far away enough from the creek that it didn't affect me at all. Also, my side of the creek is on very high ground. As a matter of fact, the houses that are right next to the creek on my side were completely spared, except maybe for their backyards. I have to say, I am very fortunate. The most I "suffered", if you even want to call it that, is the inconvenience of being stuck in traffic. I'm still very thankful and pray for those directly affected.

Unfortunately, we're supposed to get more rain this week. However, the weather report seems to indicate that we've already seen the worse. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I've seen enough rain to last me a lifetime! Between Friday to today, we've had 7.80" of rain dumped on us! I can't wait for the weekend! This whole thing is supposed to clear up by then.

---------------------------------------

On the fitness front, I was still able to get my cardio HIIT done today. I went to the gym after lunch and did cardio on the eliptical for 30 minutes, followed by ab workout. So that's one good thing that happened today.

9 comments:

KatieFeldmom said...

Thinking of you!
Stay Safe!

Congrats on the 5K goal!!!!!

Pamela said...

Way to go on the 5k results!!!
& Yikkkes on the flooding...I just saw that on the news... hope you & yours stay well...

*BUG HUGS*

Wolfie said...

When I was young, we lost our entire house from a flood. The entire town ended up being shut down for ever and the zip code removed from history. When the last flood hit, they found dioxine so none of us were ever allowed back. It seems that you can't live anywhere without having some kind of natural disaster. I hope things ease up there soon!

Erin said...

oh, my goodness... wow. I'm happy to hear your house is hanging in there even though you are surrounded. I can't even imagine. hope you've seen the worst of things and they get back to normal soon!

Donna said...

I was watching the footage on The Early Show this morning, it made me think of you and Jess. I'm hoping you are all safe and not getting evacuated. Things just have to dry up soon, don't they?

Melissa said...

I've been hearing about this on the news, I'm so glad your house is ok! I can't imagine all that rain. Stay Safe!

I just say your 5k time below! GREAT JOB!!! You are constantly improving!!

Kimberly said...

It's kind of scary, especially after reading Jennifer's story. Very powerful stuff. Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm thinking of you and Jess every time I hear the news reports.

FV Tom said...

Sure hope you continue to stay safe.

Irene said...

Eeek! I hope all of this flooding and riin passes fast! Stay safe!

~Irene