Friday, July 07, 2006

Time for an update

Hey all! Hope everybody had a great 4th of July! Mine went really well. Ate a lot though, but not too bad. I indulged a little bit without going on an all out binge.

Unfortunately, the holidays did not bode too well for everybody. 4 of my co-worker's family was involved in a really serious accident on Tuesday. They were driving through the turnpike when an extremely severe thunderstorm went through. They hit a patch of water, hydroplaned, hit something and rolled over twice. Let's just say they were lucky to be alive, although they suffered some broken bones, concussion, chipped bones, compressed vertebrae, etc. I'm praying that they get through this.

---------------------------------------------------

My workouts are going really well, although it's getting harder & harder to fit in my extra cardio. I'm just being lazy, especially in the morning. Hit a few bumps also. Last Tuesday morning (the 4th), I went out for a run in the park. I was doing really well, passing all the runners & walkers in the trail, when after running just over 1.5 miles, boom, cramps! I really hate TOM! Needless to say, I had to cut my run short. Luckily, I did my HIIT & UBWO the day before, just in case I couldn't get a workout done on the 4th of July.

Another bump was yesterday, which was supposed to be moderate cardio & LBWO. Did my LBWO after lunch, but couldn't get the cardio in during the morning because of laziness. I think it worked out okay in the end because my legs are still really sore from yesterday's LBWO and if I did the cardio, I probably wouldn't be able to get anything done today.

Today, again I didn't wake up early enough. I was planning on taking the spinning class at the gym during lunch time but found out that it was cancelled when I got to the gym. I ended up doing a step class instead, which does not exactly fit into my planned HIIT for today. I still got a good workout (moderate intensity), and I was happy overall since it was an advanced step class and I was still able to keep up with it after not doing it for months. Anyways, I decided to just switch HIIT tomorrow on the treadmill & also UBWO. Problem solved! It pays to have a backup plan. ;-)

-----------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to say, I'm so proud of my mom! Don't know if anybody recall me writing about it, but my mom suffered from multiple medical issues - high blood pressure, high cholesterol, osteoperosis, & trigeminal neuralgia. Last year, she had a bad reaction to a trigeminal neuralgia medication, which is essentially an anticonvulsant drug, that she ended up in the ICU for a week. The one good thing that came out of it was that she lost a lot of weight. Once she got better, she started eating healthier and has recently gotten into working out. When she got sick, her doctor took her out of all her medications and he was supposed to slowly re-introduce them . Well, on her last physical, all her stats came back NORMAL! Blood pressure & cholesterol are normal on the low side. Good cholesterol level is high. Bone density is normal. She's still taking cholesterol & blood pressure medications, as well as for her TG (can't get rid of that, unfortunately), but the cholesterol & blood pressure medications are at the lowest dosage. Before, she was taking them at the highest doses possible. Even before the ICU episode, she must have made at least 4 trips to the ER for a high blood pressure flare ups. Also, since her bone density is back to normal, her doctor didn't put back the osteoperosis drug. Yay for mom!!!

-----------------------------------------------

Nothing much going on this weekend. Probably just hanging out around the house & catching up on chores. One thing I need to do is get some yard work done. Because of all the rain we've been having, I really haven't had the opportunity to do any gardening. I have weeds that are growing like trees! Also, my beautiful rose bush by the deck is getting choked up on Japanese Beetles. Anybody has any suggestions on how to get rid of these little critters? It's driving me NUTS!!! I've been spraying them with chemicals but they keep coming back! I don't want to do the bags since I heard that's a big no no. One thing I can think of is putting a bat house, but I don't think that would go well with my townhouse association. LOL.

That's about it! Hope everybody have a great weekend!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey girl!! CONGRATS on your mom doing so well!!! Make sure you give her a big hug (if you didn't already)!! That story of her medical issues and triumph is so very inspiring! THANKS!

I don't know anything about japanese beetles..but wish you luck in getting rid of them! Sorry :(

Sounds like you continue to kick butt. I few bumps in the road is good, I think. If this whole being healthy, working out, and eating good thing was too easy...we'd all be bored..right?? Enjoy your weekend. Dede

Amy said...

Glad to hear your mom is doing well. Keep on pushing forward. Don't let the small bumps get you off track. sounds like you are doing a great job!!

Pamela said...

Hope all turns out with your co-workers ..& YAY for your Mom finding the "healthy road".
Sounds like you're doing GREAT & finding ways to get around the bumps! that's VERY cool!

KatieFeldmom said...

So sorry to hear about your coworkers. You guys have had a difficult time in your office this year, haven't you? Hope things settle down soon.

Congrats to your mom!!!!!!!!

And great job on getting around those bumps. You rock!

Stef said...

Way to go for you mom!!! I wish my mom would lose some weight for the many, many health related issues she has.

I had a serious problem with the Japanese beatles on my roses...I finally gave up and the beatles won....I got rid of the roses. I just couldn't get rid of the bugs!

=)

FV Tom said...

So good to hear about your mom.

Japanese beetles? I thought the Beetles came from England!

jennifer said...

That is GREAT news about your mom. It always makes me happy to hear when people can turn around such obstacles with a healthy lifestyle.
No advice on the bugs.
I am curious about the origin of your name. I have 2 friends (identical twins) with the names Chanta and Chantal. They are Vietnamese.
Hope your weekend was relaxing and productive.

Hypertrophy said...

Excellent news about your Mom !! That is really fantastic ! :)

Ok, since you already have the beetles, then getting a bag will draw them away from the roses. Some people make the mistake of putting them out "just in case" they show up, which all that accomplishes is drawing them in.

Donna said...

So sorry to hear about your co-workers, I hope they are okay. Great news about your mom though. We have Japenese Beatles up this way but I don't have any rose buses so I'm not bothered by them. Don't they some type of trap for them?

Julie said...

That is amazing news about your mom! She must be feeling great about herself too!

I'm so sorry to hear about your coworkers' families. Hopefully everyone will recover soon.

So you have critter issues too, eh? Maybe if we're lucky they'll invent a special spray that can nix both Japanese beetles and ants :)

Kimberly said...

Great news about your Mom and your workouts. Sorry to hear about your co-worker's family and the beetles. I wish I had some helpful advice, but I don't.

Kimberly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Karla said...

That's wonderful about your Mom! My Mom has also lost about 40 lbs. since last year. It's amazing how watching us become healthier inspires our family members.

Sorry to hear about the co-worker's family.