Monday, July 10, 2006

Post 104!!!

Geez! I just realized I passed the 100th post for this blog! Didn't realize I had this much to say!

This weekend was pretty quiet. Did a lot of work around the house. Did not get any gardening done though. I bought some more chemicals for my Japanese Beetle infestation, but didn't get to apply it. It was so funny at the hardware store, they actually had a sign by the front doors saying that they are out of the Japanese Beetle traps! I guess I'm not the only one having this problem!

I also went shopping again this weekend. Yes, I admit I am a shopaholic, LOL! I think it's genetic and I'm putting the blame on my mom because she is worse than me! Actually, I am still replenishing my wardrobe. Last weekend, I did a bit of cleaning and I actually collected 4 garbage bag full of clothes for disposal! Some of the clothes are just old or out-of-style, but most are just way too big on me. Part of the reason is because there was also a period of time when I was bigger that I hated shopping because I just hated the way I looked in clothes. I remember trying on clothes, looking in the mirror and almost in tears because I didn't like what I saw. Now that I'm in a better shape, I guess you could say I'm making up for lost time. For example, I just realized that I need more summer clothes. Again, when I was bigger, I wore clothes that covered me up even during the summer seasons. I wouldn't even wear sleeveless shirts and shorts because they accentuated how big my arms & thighs were. Now I am having so much fun playing dress-up that it feels almost therapeutic! As long as it's not breaking the bank, it's all good!

Anyhoo, today is also the start of the 4th week of being back into a fitness routine. I'm elated to say that I'm still going strong! This weekend was tough workout-wise though, but I got 'em done! I ended up working out on Sunday, which was supposed to be a rest day, because I kept putting off my scheduled workouts. No break for the procrastinator! Today started out great! Did my treadmill run HIIT and abs first thing in the morning and got it out of the way!

The only downside is that I need to take a break from running because of these darn shin splints! About 2 weekends ago, I did a fast walk on the treadmill which strained my shins somehow. At the speed I was going, I should have been running already, but I forced myself (for some unknown reason!) to speed walk. So since then, I can feel some soreness in my shins at the start of my runs, but it goes away after several minutes. It's not so bad, but I know I have to give it a rest or it will get worse. So this week, I have to do my cardio on either the bike or the eliptical. Hopefully, I will be able to run pain-free by Saturday.

One good thing that happened today is I got complemented at work! I went to a meeting and a friend of mine who was also there for the meeting asked me if I've lost weight again. We were office mates last year when I first started BFL so she is familiar with my new lifestyle. Anyways, I said "Not that I know of", which is true since I haven't weighed myself in like forever! She then added that I look good! I graciously thanked her for her kind comment. ;-)

10 comments:

Donna said...

Hey, I've just realized that I've got shin splints too. Of course I've been trying to run through it for the past month and so I've probably just made it worse.

Unknown said...

WAY TO GO on your 4 weeks going strong. Yep, compliments are defintely nice. Keep up your persistence. :)

FV Tom said...

Four weeks is great! You will many more compliments very soon!

FV Tom said...

You will GET many ...

Dang keyboard never types what I think!

Rachel said...

Compliments really fuel the fire, don't they? You deserve to shop till you drop - make up for lost time!

Hope your shins heal quickly. Seems I can't run more than three days before the shins start to hurt, so then I rest till I feel better, get three runs in, shins flare up. It's truly a VICIOUS cycle. Bah!

Irene said...

That's so cool, getting rid of clothes that are too big! What a great feeling, plus you bought new clothes! It always feel good to recieve compliments, espcially from people at work.

About the shin splints... I just posted to Donna about this... When anything hurts from running, all the experts say to check your shoes first. 1)You could be wearing the wrong shoe for your foot type 2)Your shoes may already be worn out. How many miles do you have on them? And 3)Perhaps you did too much too soon, either speed or distance. The general rule is never increase your milage or speed more than 10%. Of course, there are other things that can cause shin splints, but those three are the most common. Take care :)

Irene said...

PS...
I just caught your comment on Donna's blog. :) It took me wearing several different brands of shoes for high arches (Ryka, Avia, Mizuons Wave Rider, Nike Shox Turboz then finally Asics Gel Nimbus that I've settled on) before I found the ones that worked best for me, just so you know it's not an exact science and it takes some trial and error. Oh, this took me a really LONG time, blisters, sore knees and one black toenail... My husband lucked out and wears Brooks and has been able to stick with Brooks since the get go. If you can't switch your shoes out right now, try getting a different innersole. Just a thought. Shin splints are a pain...

Good luck. :)

Amy said...

Congrats..on the shopping. very exciting when the clothes start fitting better. And yes.. cleaning out the old stuff.

Unknown said...

Awesome on the compliments - I just got a message from FitPod that they featured me and my blog on there website. I can't imagine why, but it is inspiring nonetheless.

Melissa said...

I'm doing the same as you, making up for lost time! I used to refuse to wear tank tops b/c I thought my arms looked too fat. Not this year! LOL But it's not too good on our bank acct, I've been shopping more this year than ever before! Finally, I enjoy shopping. =)

That's awesome about the girl complimenting you at work. You must've been feeling so good after that! You deserve it girl, keep workin it, it's only going to get better. ;)