Thursday, May 25, 2006

Taking a break from running...

I am so upset that I have to take a break from running. My knees are still bothering me from last Tuesday's run. It's not like they're hurting, but I can feel some pressure in them. Plus, they make this clicking sound when I bend them sometimes. I had this problem before and I know that the only cure is rest. So no more running this week. I'll see how I feel next week.

Inspite of no running, I'm still religiously completing my other workouts. Yesterday, I did 20 minutes HIIT + 10 minutes MISS on the eliptical, and then abs. Today, I did LBWO. I decided to do the leg machines this time, instead of the usual lunges & squats, to ease off some stress on the knees. I did the workout BFL style with lighter weights on the machines, concentrated on proper form, and did the movements slow. When I used the leg machines before, I had heavier weights and ended up putting too much pressure on my shins, hence, shin splints. So today even with lighter weights, I still felt the burn and no shin splints. ;-)

As I was completing my last leg machine (the adductor), I looked over the Smith Machine and noticed that it was empty. So immediately, Janel's Booty Shrinker workout came to mind. I went over there and set it up with just 10 lbs. on each side and proceeded with the routine. All I can say is, OH MY GOD!!! My legs felt like jello! I was actually sweating so hard I can feel the sweat dripping from my back. I did 2 sets of each exercise for 12 reps each, and it was more than enough.

Surprisingly, my knees felt better after the workout. I did read somewhere that leg weight lifting helps strengthen the muscles around the knees. This doesn't change anything though. I'm still going to take a break from running, just in case.

Apparently, I made an impression on the Smith Machine. I was in the locker room and this woman stopped me and told me how amazed she was when she saw me, this small woman, working out on the Smith Machine. In my gym, normally only guys use this and it is very rare to see a woman on it. She definitely made my day when she told me that.

------------------------------------

So what did you all think of American Idol? Most of the show was a cheese fest, although there were some funny moments. I was happy to see Taylor win. He clearly deserves it. No matter what, I think both Kat & Taylor will do well in their respective careers.

Tonight, I'm going to see The Da Vinci Code. Anybody see this movie? Both my brothers saw it. One brother, who read the book, loved it, and another brother, who didn't read the book, hated it. I'm going to keep an open mind and just enjoy the movie.

13 comments:

Donna said...

Sorry to hear about your knees. I hope they get better after a break.

With my new trainer I've lowered my weights and really concentrated on slower movements and proper form and I can really feel it too. I was KILLING myself before, but this is so much better.

Melissa said...

I wish I could go to my old gym, I loved using the smith machine!! It was always hard to do much else afterwards! I had the same thing happen, another woman came up and asked me for advice. What a great feeling!! :) Sorry about your knees, the break could actually improve your running. The first day back seems tough but it doesn't take as long as you think to get it back!

Greg said...

It sounds like your doing really strong on your workouts. Congrats. on having six million dollar man running speed.

I have a similar problem with my knees except my right knee clicks and locks from years of abuse. I love running and I find it to be very meditative. I usually find a musical rythmic beating from my breathing helps me to run long distances. Do you ever find that happening to you? If I start having painful problems with my knee I usually go the elyptical route.

Let us know what you think of the Davinci Code movie. I thought the book was pretty good.

KatieFeldmom said...

Dang knees. Why do we even need them?

I'm so afraid of the Smith machine. I just need to go in the scary room and use it. I know. Silly, right?

I liked the AI finale and I'm glad that Taylor one. I agree that they will both do okay. The only thing I didn't like was Toni Braxton. Couldn't understand a word she sang.

Rachel said...

Sorry about the knees, sweetie. REST sucks when you're in a groove.

Good job on the Smith machine workout! That compliment was awesome. =)

I'm hoping to see Da Vinci Code this weekend. I LOVED the book so I'm sure I won't like the movie as much, but I'm still excited to see it. Maybe I should steer clear from your blog just in case you post a review...!

Have a great time.

Erin said...

OH, man... sorry about your knees... it sucks to have injury ruining your momentum when you are doing SO well with the running. You are doing the right thing to focus on the weights for now... hope the knees are feeling better soon!
Also, I really like the pic of you dancing at the wedding! :)

Lori said...

Do you have good shoes? It may be time for some new ones.

Idol, I thought it was the best ending of them all.

Lori

Just a lonely girl said...

Little indeed! I cannot believe how tiny you are!!

Sorry to hear about your knees, but you've definitely been giving them a run for their money. ;-)

I used to use the Smith machine to work my calves (put a step under my feet). I loved it!! I also used to do free-standing squats at the gym I used to go to. I miss it!!! I think I was the only girl who ever used it.

Irene said...

I completely understand the knee thing! I have similar knee issues. Cross training, as you're doing, will do you some good... That's so cool about the lady noticing you on the smith machine! The smith machine is one of my favorite pieces of gym equipment! :) Have a great weekend!

~Irene

Janel said...

Chantal that is so cool!! Its funny because I have had comments about the Smith machine almost every day that I use it, too! Why does it surprise everybody?? LMAO I'm getting addicted to that stupid thing!

Julie said...

I bet taking this break will make your runs extra great once you get back into them. I'm always amazed at the positive impact a little time off can have. I love the Smith machine and I use it to do squats. And you're right: the more I think about it, it's usually guys who are using it. Yay for girl power!

Laurie said...

I feel your pain regarding your knees, I think (hope) that I've learned that I'm just not meant to be a runner with these knees of mine. But I'm married to a serious runner and I fully understand the addiction. Rest is good, not easy, but good.

I'm amazed at your new PR, that's awesome!!!!

Thanks for cheering my accomplishment on my blog and kind words for our tough decision - we did know when the time was right, which didn't make it any easier, but we know we did the right thing.

Laurie

KatieFeldmom said...

Thinking of You!