Saturday, August 04, 2007

A short break

Oh wow! I didn't realize I've been off from blogging for 2 weeks now! I've just been sooooo busy these last couple of week!

First, I'm still running - still training for the half marathon. Although, it has gotten stale lately. Let's just say everybody else seems to be getting faster while I'm still stuck at 10 min/mile pace and it's making me green with envy! I should be just be happy with the fact that I can now run after not thinking I could for years. But now, I guess I'm yearning for something more. It's something I've got to work on I guess.

Today, I was supposed to run my longest run yet - 13 miles. Alas, it wasn't meant to be! Due to the heat and humidity, I was only able to make it to 11 miles. I was still a mile away from my car at that time, but my legs just said ENOUGH! So I walked the remaining mile. I'm not too disappointed though. I did 12 miles a couple of weeks ago and 10 miles several times already. Technically, Hal Higdon's novice half marathon training program only calls for up to 10 miles as the longest training run. Also, I still have about a month and 2 weeks to go so plenty of time to improve. Hopefully, the knees cooperate though.

Speaking of the knee, my x-rays came back negative! My orthopedist appointment is this coming Thursday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's nothing serious and that I can keep on running.

Oh, and runningskirts.com is having a sale! 50% off!!! So I bought two - one in lilacplum and another in mangopink. Here's a picture of the mango/pink:

Cute, huh? I'm eagerly awaiting for these skirts to arrive! I already have two - navywhite and chocqua - and I love them! I wore my chocqua one last week and it's so perfect for this hot, humid weather. I'm still not brave enough to wear them on the long runs for fear of chafing between the thighs since it only has spankies underneath. Although, I did wear the navywhite one on my 10-mile race and it was fine. Maybe when it gets cooler. I'll probably wear one for my upcoming half marathon this September and just bring some band-aids just in case, LOL. Crazy, huh? What a woman would do just to look good, LOL.

The last couple of weekends, I've also been helping my brother and his wife with their new house. Last weekend, I helped them paint. They got the house at a real discount, but it was FILTHY and just outdated. However, with just some cleaning, scrubbing, and painting, the house now looks 1oo% better! The previous owners were just pigs and had no taste! The house was just badly painted and it looked like they never cleaned since they moved in!

Supposedly, the previous owner (the guy) had health issues - only in his early 30's and already had kidney transplant. Incidentally, the new kidney is not working and he has to go back for surgery next month. However, his wife is fit and able. I can understand them not being able to do some home improvements, but basic cleaning? Anyways, their realtor stopped by the other day and was shocked at the improvements! He told my brother that he wanted the previous owners to paint, but they just wouldn't. Just by what the realtor saw, which was the living room and dining room, he said he could have sold the house for $30K more!

The house, although small, is really nice and has a lot of potential. The entire floor is hardwood, although the 2nd floor is covered with carpet. I think my brother plans to tear out the carpet and re-finish the floor. There's nothing wrong with the house structurally and all the major utilities are in good working order. Basically, they just need to work on the aesthetics. Also, the location is really great. It's in a very peaceful neighborhood and just a hop and skip away from the city!

Today, we helped them move in their stuff. With the walls all painted, the house clean, and their furnitures all moved in, the house looks really homy and inviting. I'm just so happy to see them all settled in! Especially since they're expecting their first child. Yes, I am going to be an aunt for the very first time!!!!

That's it for now! I'll be checking up on the other blogs for the next couple of days, I promise. :-)

12 comments:

Irene said...

I figured you were on vacation or something, but I know how busy every day life can be. Nice job on the half marathon training. The last half marathon I did I didn't train as well as you are, so you are doing great! The house sounds nice, especially with the new paint and basic cleaning. Isn't that amazing? The running skirts are great! I ordered two, one in black with a light pink stripe, and pinky-maroon... Had to return the pinky-maroon because they sent the wrong size...

leslie said...

Inspired by you and Irene, I pulled out my running skirt today. It only fits me when I'm on the lean side, and today IT FIT!!! So I thought of you both as I went out running...

Keep up the great work!

havlow said...

Tell your brother and his wife to Sell Sell Sell!! Take that 30k and run!! lol

btw I don't know if you heard but J K Rowling is also publishing an HP encyclopedia sometime in the near future that should give you more information about how favorite characters post DH. She mentioned a few thing in an interview and they were pretty interesting!

Stef said...

Wow! Your running sounds great! I have never run more than 5, but I am pushing myself to do the Duathlon in September...yowzers!

Have a great day!

=)

KatieFeldmom said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR UPCOMING AUNTIE STATUS!!!!!!!!! And congrats to your brother+wife on the new house ... sounds like they got a great house for a great price!!!

Love the skirt and way to go on your LD runs.

doidle said...

Wow, you're doing great! You'll surprise yourself with your time on the half. Just being there at the race will be so exciting, you'll run faster than you usually do. Great job!

Anonymous said...

If only I could run half as long as you do. You are doing great. Don't get discouraged. :)

Danielle

Laurie said...

Yea!!! An Auntie!!! Very cute skirt. Another great race - you are so impressive with the number of runs that you do!

Pamela said...

Congrats Auntie.. & LOVE the new skirt! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have been busy. Congrats on expecting to be an Aunt!!!

Those skirts are so cute!

Donna said...

I'm just trying to make the rounds here. Super cute skirt! Love those colors.

Greg said...

I am frickin gettin' me some of those shorts!!er skritsshorty shorts.

Chantal-Sorry I haven't been around lately to worship at your running feet lately. You really are the bomb girl. I'll do my best to catch up!