Sunday, August 12, 2007

I think I'm going to be okay...

....for my first half marathon this September!!!

I just ran 13.15 miles yesterday! And I still have over a month to go! I even went well below my goal time for the race, albeit a very conservative goal time. ;-). I had to due to my knee.

The fact that it was a lot less humid helped a lot. I even went over the first five miles without walking or needing to hydrate. I could have gone longer but I have to force myself to take a break and remind myself that it's a long run and I have to take my sports gel. Normally, I have a routine going where for long runs, I take walk breaks every 2.5 miles so I can sip water and/or take my sports gel at the 5-mile markers. But I felt really strong during the beginning of my run that I didn't want to break the rhythm.

Legs are kind of sore today. The knee is the same. But otherwise I feel fine.

Now, if I can only work on speed. I'm thinking good thoughts though. Yesterday's run was on a trail, which was mostly gravel and your feet sinks to the ground quite a bit. And since I didn't need water too much, my hydration pack was almost full till the end.

I also threw in a hill at the final mile. It's up this bridge one way, then on the return route. What was funny was when I was on top of the bridge, I noticed all the other runners around me disappeared. I looked down and realized that there was a path under the bridge that is obviously flat and they were all taking that route. Well, if only I have know....;-D

Here's hoping my knee stays put and I at least finish at a decent time during the race!

Oh, and I hit a breakthrough of sorts in today's morning yoga class! You know when you do the sun salutation, and you go from plank, then down (sort of like a push-up), then upward-facing-dog, then downward-facing dog? Well, I can never do the push-up part without having to put my knees on the floor. Today it finally happened! I did it without having to put my knees down! And it was so effortless, I didn't even realize I was doing it! Yay me! LOL.

Next poses to master - crow pose and wheel pose. Did I mention I suck at yoga? These poses are supposed to come naturally to women, especially the wheel pose. But, not for me. Some things to work on, I guess. But I'll get there! =)

6 comments:

Stef said...

So awesome about your running! You should be proud of yourself!

=)

KatieFeldmom said...

That is awesome news about your 13 miler. WAY TO GO!!! I'm so glad that your knee is holding up. Keep up the great work!!!

Alexandra said...

I worked on the crow pose and it eventually happened for me. Now it feels easy.
The wheel though...my body will never do that. And, no, it's not negative thinking. It's the reality! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the run and getting that sun salutation. I loved Yoga when I took it years ago. Wish I could afford to take a class, i could use the relaxation and stretching. You will get those other poses soon!

Unknown said...

great job on the run! WOOO HOOOO...be easy on that knee.

I know what you mean about Yoga. I haven't taken a class (just at home video) because I am sure I would be sheer entertainment for everybody. Enjoy your week :)

Irene said...

I knew you could get to that 13.1 (and a little extra)! It sounds like you are more than ready for your half marathon! Congratulations on the yoga poses! I *know* what you mean! I fall over...