Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Adventures in driving

My drive to work yesterday was CRAZY!!!! Basically, my 20 minutes drive turned to an hour! Which was even worse because it's the holidays and there shouldn't be any traffic!

I set about my normal route when I hit a roadblock. I knew there was another way further up, so I went straight. Again, another roadblock. Don't exactly know what was going on, but I kept going straight until I could find a way to easily turn around.

I ended up going back, past my house, then had to take a road I avoid at all cost because of the traffic. At this time, I had no choice! So I finally got to this dreaded road, which not only is always BUSY but also had construction going on. I had to wait for the construction guys to let me go. Once I got passed the construction area, I had to follow this huge eighteen-wheeler which had to sloooowwwwly navigate through the tight turns.

Finally, I got passed this dreaded road and onto smooth traffic. Until I hit this other road and I got stuck behind a slow driver. WTF! It's not even Sunday! By this time, I was smoke-coming-out-of-my-ear-pissed! The driver thankfully eventually made a left turn which cleared the way for me and the open range!

BUT just as I thought it was smooth sailing to work, the most unexpected thing happened...I HIT A BIRD! Not like a big geese or anything. But a small bird flying low who just happened to fly in front of my car. I hit the little bugger with the nose of my SUV, then it bounced onto my windshield, then above my car. Hopefully it's gone, but I'm getting my dad to check it tomorrow coz the thought of a dead bird staring at me gives me the creeps. From what I can see from the ground, the top of my car is clear. But you never know.

So that's it! Thankfully, my drive into work this morning was uneventful. :-D

-----------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for your comments on my abominable race. I agree that I have to accept that I'm not always "on". And I did finish...and not last, which is good. AND I found out that I beat my former three-times-removed boss by a minute and a half! I used to work for this guy's organization (same company) and his reputation is somewhat questionable. I saw him when I was at the starting line and when I realized I wasn't going to do well on the race, I made myself a goal to at least beat him. Mission accomplished! :0)

On a running related news, I finally bit the bullet and made an appointment with my doctor about my knee issues. It's actually not bothersome when I run, but it does bother me when I've been sitting for a while and I start walking all of a sudden. I've accepted the possibility that I may not be able to do the half marathon this September, depending on the prognosis with the knee. But I'm at peace with that. When it comes right to it, I would rather keep on running for the long term and there's going to be plenty of races in the future. I have to get this taken care of first. Of course, that will be $40 down the drain coz I already paid the half marathon registration, but it's a small price to pay in my opinion. All is not lost though! Please send positive vibes and prayers that the prognosis is not serious and it does not interfere too much with my training!

That's about it! Happy 4th of July!!!!!

2 comments:

KatieFeldmom said...

Sorry about the traffic and your knee. I hope you get some answers on how to make the knee better. Fingers crossed for you.

I got an email this morning telling me that Taylor Swift got added to a few Soul2Soul shows and Pittsburgh is one of them. I'm so jealous now. Have a great time.

Unknown said...

Hey girl...take it easy on that knee. Let us know what you find out. Be good to yourself...hugs-Dede