Monday, September 11, 2006

5 Years Later...

Does it ever get easier? This morning on my way to work, I was listening to my normal country station. Since it's the anniversary of 9/11, they were playing country songs with patriotic themes and also taking calls and reading emails recalling where you were on 9/11. Well, the host started reading an email from this guy who worked at the WTC North Tower. His workplace was on the 78th floor. That morning, he just happened to come in earlier than usual, so him and a couple of his co-workers decided to head down to the cafeteria on the 40-something floor to have breakfast. They were there when the first plane struck his tower. He was recalling how he was coming down the stairs and encountering so many people also trying to get down and how people were helping each other. There was a guy on a wheelchair that they volunteered to help down the stairs, but he decided to stay behind so he doesn't clog up the stairs. He was also recalling the firemen going upstairs while everybody was going down. Let me just say, that by the end of the email, I was bawling my eyes out! Sheesh!

Anyways, on to lighter topic....

Last week completely sucked! Notice my lack of update? Well I was super duper busy at work! It was just stressful time. It was aggravated by the fact that my director, who is basically in charge of my group, announced that she was leaving the group to move up to a higher position within the company. Can't say I blame her, but I'm sad for us! She's probably THE BEST boss I have ever had! She's super nice, fair (a rare trait in Corporate America especially at her level), and just on the ball with things. When you encounter a difficult situation, which we often do, she seems to have the answer on the tip of her fingertips. She's been in our group for quite a while, and basically built it up to well-respective group that we are now. She's a big reason why I LOVE my current job, in spite of the stress. We're all still in shock with the announcement, and I know that some people are worried because we won't have her to run to. We all basically have to step up to the plate. Like my job needs more challenge right now!

Anyways, I let stress at work get to me, which in turn affected my normal routine. Needless to say, I only worked out 3X last week.

Oh yeah, and did I mention that I have shin splints AGAIN? Ugh!!!! The week before I was on a roll. I ran 5 days straight (one being light running w/ my mom) which probably didn't help. Also, on the 5th day, I ran faster than expected. I ran at this park which has a flat trail. I had "Fighter" by Christina Aguilera playing in my iPOD, and I'm usually just passing the 2-miles marker by the end of the song. Well, on this day and not doing it on purpose, I have already passed the 2.5 miles by the end of the song! And this was first thing in the morning on an empty stomach! WTF! It felt awesome, but I think I may have gone too fast too soon which caused the shin splints. I'm taking it easy for now. This Saturday, instead of running outside, I ran on the treadmill at moderate pace. I didn't run yesterday or today to give it a rest. I'm planning on running outside tomorrow afternoon, which hopefully will not be too bad.

And I'm happy to say that I'm off to a great start this week. Got my cardio done first thing this morning - 40 minutes on the eliptical (20 minutes HIIT, 20 minutes MISS) and ab bootcamp.

On to more lighter topic....

DTWS...I can't wait!!!! Tomorrow night! And not only do we get to watch the stars dance and compete, we get to see and hear our very own Bevy sing! I'm very excited!

And, The Biggest Loser starts September 20!!!! Yay!

7 comments:

Donna said...

Glad to finally see an update over here. You sound like you're doing well after having a tough week last week. Great job on that run but sorry it aggravated those damn shin splints. I haven't been outside for a run in sooo long, but I've been doing well on the treadmill. I hope the rest of your week goes well. I'm looking forward to all my returning shows too!

Karla said...

Sorry to hear that your boss is leaving. Maybe a promotion is in your future, where you'll be working with her again.

Shin splints are the worst.

Can't wait to start watching the new line up too. However, I just gotta find the time to watch the shows.

Liam said...

Hi there, sorry to hear about the shin splints, been there, got that T-Shirt. Just keep things easy on the running, stay off-road when you feel able to get back running without discomfort.

Thanks for popping by my blog. The reason I was asking about the C25K plan from Cool Running was that I was involved with designing that program with Josh Clark, over at the old Kick! web-site. Just inrigued when I hear it being mentioned outside of the "home" site.

Keep up the great work

Melissa said...

All the 9/11 stories make me tear up. I think Americans need to keep in mind that this CAN and WILL happen to us. So many have already forgotten what that day was like.

Kimberly said...

I think 9/11 will always affect me. Your post is a nice tribute to the feelings you experienced.

Sorry to hear you are losing such an awesome boss. But working out at all when you are that busy and stressed is very good thing.

I heard Bev on the results show! Yay!

Pamela said...

Yep change is hard .. Good for you for keepin at things...take it easy on the shins hon :)

Just a lonely girl said...

Shin splints SUCK! Get better sneakers! :-D

Nice to see you're back on track...keep on truckin' hon!