Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Trip report - Part II

Okay, so where was I?

So after the Grand Canyon we headed back to Las Vegas. The next morning (late though coz we were pooped!) we drove about half an hour to BEAUTIFUL Red Rock Canyon. I love it there and could actually picture myself living in the area. The area looks fairly new but there are still a lot of developments going on. Can you just imagine the canyons as the view from one of your house windows? Also, for a mere $20/year, you have unlimitted access to the national park where they have trails, rock climbing, and a 13-mile scenic drive where people also go biking! HEAVEN!!!





We did an impromptu 2 mile hike, as indicated by the inappropriateness of the attire...LOL! I thought we were just going to do the 13-mile drive but we got taken in by the majesty of the place. I was wearing sandals and it kept sinking into the sandy ground. Thankfully, the weather was mild which made the hike more bearable. I couldn't do too much rock climbing because of the sandals. Plus, I'm not too fond of heights. ;) I went on some of the lower rocks though. That was fun!

On our last day we just walked the strip. Pictures below are of one of the lions in the Lion's Habitat at MGM Grand. They sleep ALL DAY! Wish I had that luxury! The last picture is of me next to the Golden Crocodile at the Mandalay Bay Aquarium.





During our stay in Vegas, we also caught 2 Cirque du Soleil shows: Mystere and Love. I highly recommend Mystere. Love was okay. The music was great since it's form The Beatles repertoire. However, I wasn't too impressed with the acrobatics. It just might be me. We caught the 10:30 pm show for Love which is late for me, especially considering all the walking we did during the day. Also, Mystere, which was the first show we saw, was so awesome that I set my expectations too high for Love. I really really wanted to see Ka, but the tickets cost much more than the average and my brother, who set up the trip, was insistent on seeing two shows. I wish we only saw one show, preferably Ka. We really stretched ourselves too thin on this trip.

Overall, I was exceptionally pleased with the trip. Vegas was definitely unique. Also, the FOOD! There were just so many selections, and not many were healthy! We ate at the buffets several times because of the convenience. Although I tried to not go all out crazy, I still ate more than normal. Because everything in Vegas (ie: food) was expensive, I felt guilty eating too little at the buffets. I felt I wasn't getting my money's worth...LOL!

Besides all the walking, I didn't get any workouts in. Not even a run on the strip. I did do pushups, dips, lunges, and crunches in the hotel room. Where we stayed, you had to pay $25 to use the gym! And after my first day there, I wasn't too confortable running on the strip, which I regretted later on. Although the Vegas strip is considered safe, I did see some questionable looking individual/peddlers there. As I said, I did regret it later on because I saw a couple of runners here and there.

Oh, I just found out that Olympia was held there during my stay! I was wondering why I was seeing all these buff women around. I didn't see anyone I would recognize though. The women I saw were, in my opinion, too buff to the point that they could be considered masculine. To be honest, they look like they're on steroids.

And that concludes my trip to Vegas...LOL!

***************************************************
FITNESS

I came back last Tuesday and I only started working out this Monday. Talk about slacking! My running sucks! I can't even run 20 minutes straight! I know I can do it, but there seems to be some mental block preventing me from doing it. Like I said, I have a 5K in less than 2 weeks and I have to get it together by then. I think I'm going to get those hypnosis tapes to help me look forward to my workouts again. The good news is that I weighed myself today after my workout and I maintained my weight from before Vegas...108 lbs. Don't know if weighing myself is a good idea though. It gives me an excuse to continue slacking off.

Oh, and my gym got new elliptical machines! I haven't tried them out yet, but they look pretty swanky! I overheard a woman in the locker room telling her friend that she likes the new machines because the magazine tray is closer to her and she's able to read better. I wanted to tell her "Girl, if you're able to read you're not working hard enough!".

9 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds like you had a great trip. The pictures are awesome and you look very fit :)

Wow, less than two weeks until the 5K! Have you picked your tunes yet? I found having music I loved on my Ipod kept me motivated during my 10K in May. I think you will do great even if you're not happy with your runs right now. The adrenaline on your race day will give you an extra push too.

Donna said...

Hey there! It looks and sounds like you had a great time. I went to Vegas about 4 years ago, right around the same time of year. We had a great time. You definitely did way more than we did though. We saw the show "O" when we were there. We loved it. It was late though. We saw the 11:00 show, which was really 2:00am our time. I was having a hard time keeping my eyes open. And the food, I know what you mean. I'm sure you'll catch right back up to your running in no time. With the 5K looming, you'll do it!

KatieFeldmom said...

Very cool pictures!
Thanks for sharing.
I went to Vegas in June and had a great time, but now I know what I want to do next time I go.

Kimberly said...

You look wonderfully happy and fit in all the pictures. You have a lovely family and the trip sounds lovely, too. Thanks for sharing :)

I have the same problem at buffets- feeling like I'm getting my money out of it! Even though there is a health cost to trying every dessert, which never seem to be very good at those things . . .

Amy said...

Good to hear you had a fun trip. Looks like a lot of fun. I have not yet made it there.

Have fun with your 5K coming up.. Hope you get your running legs back soon!!

Irene said...

Beautiful trip pictures! Thanks for sharing those. Isn't it nice to come back to the gym and see new equipment! I had to laugh about the lady being close to the magazines... I always see a few people like that at my gym. LOL...

Wolfie said...

I would love to see that someday! Looks like a great trip! And my word, but you are gorgeous! You're looking and sounding fantastic!

Pamela said...

Love the pic of you & the gator...a real Beauty & the Beast!
As to the 5k..You can do it!!!!

Melissa said...

Great pictures!! After hearing about your trip and everything you did/saw, I want to go to Vegas too! ;) Thanks for sharing it all with us! Oh and YES OF COURSE you're going to do great on the 5K! Two weeks is all you need girl.